Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons solid shortening
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour (3/4 cup flour if omitting nuts)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place rack in center of oven.
- Cut shortening into flour and salt in medium size bowl, until the mixture resembles small pieces the size of peas.
- Add cold water all at once. Mix with a fork until dough starts to form into a ball, do not over mix.
- Sprinkle flour out onto a flat surface. Roll the dough out and place in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Lightly press into the corners of the plate. Crimp the edges.
- Place prepared crust into freezer while making filling.
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, scraping down sides a couple of times. Mix until blended well and no pieces of butter are visible.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla to butter and sugar mixture. Beat on medium for about 1 minute, scraping down sides once. Turn off mixer.
- Add flour, salt, and chocolate chips mixing all at once, just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Add nuts and mix just until incorporated. If not using nuts, remember to add the additional 1/4 cup of flour to batter.
- Spoon filling into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake on center rack of oven for about 50 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Save a few chocolate chips to gently press into the top of the pie after baking while pie is still warm.